There is no food I love more than bread and butter!
Now, don’t get me wrong, I am most definitely NOT talking about wonder bread and margarine, that’s nasty!
I’m talking about a really delicious, freshly baked bread such as, organic baguette or ciabatta, with a nice expensive butter like Lurpax or truffle butter, that is ecstasy!
My first impression of a good restaurant is what bread and butter/oil they give you when you order your drinks, obviously the nicer the restaurant, the nicer the bread and butter. When I’m entertaining at home I like to offer bread and butter to start with or to go with the meal, and if I’m feeling extra creative I like to make my own bread!
This is a super easy recipe I found ages ago and have since tweaked to make it easier, bread has never looked so good!
SUPER SIMPLE FRENCH BREAD ROLLS:
1 1/2 cups of warm water at approx 45C
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
4 cups of bread flour
1) In a large bowl, mix together water, yeast and sugar, let it sit for 10 mins or until it appears creamy.
2) Then, in the same bowl, add oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour and slowly begin mixing, stirring in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball and is pulling away from the sides.
3) Lightly flour a flat surface and turn out the dough, knead until smooth and stretchy, approx 8 mins. Then, lightly oil another large bowl and place dough into a bowl and turn to coat in oil.
4) Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
5) To deflate the dough, simply turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently pull and fold the dough back into itself a few times until smaller. Divide the dough into about 16 equal sized balls and place them onto lightly greased baking paper about 2 inches apart.
6) Cover rolls with a damp cloth and leave to rise again for about 40mins or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 200C.
7) Bake bread rolls in oven for 15-20 mins or until golden brown. Serve fresh with delicious better!
Try this, and you will understand my love affair with bread and butter.